Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Traveling the World

Back in November, Bri came home from work and stated that he wanted to do more with our kids.  (Oh, dear! Was my thought.)  He said he wanted to teach them something two nights a week and he wasn't sure what or how, that was my job! (Great! More stress!)  Well, after a few days he stated he wanted to teach the kids about the different countries in the world one night a week and then work on writing another night of the week.  I told him he was going to have to share the burden of teaching.  One week I would teach the country info and that week he would teach the writing, with the next week flipping the responsibilities.
So, off on this adventure we started.  I told him I would teach the first country and I thought it should be the USA, so they have a basic knowledge.  Then I issued the kids "passports."  And we bought a nice big map of the world.  The kids really got excited about this.  Bri and I decided we would try to make food that was like the food in each country and teach the kids some neat facts.  Sometimes, if we are on top of the game we even plan an activity.  I have to say we actually have had a lot of fun with this.  The kids love the learning and ask "where are we going?"
So, this past week went went to Saudi Arabia.  I had a hard time coming up with an activity, but I wanted the kids to understand how important the Muslim religion is in the country.  So, I had each family member put similar head wear on, so that when the kids see people in the USA with this head wear they will accept them.   (PLEASE, do not take this as mockery or unkind, I am trying to teach my kiddos acceptance.)

Over all, this idea Bri had has been fabulous.  When the kids see or hear things that we have learned about they get excited.  One day, the hope is we will really be able to travel the world together.

No comments: