Many people on Facebook and blogs have been posting what, when and where they were when the "world stop turning on that September day." So, I thought I would record my own experience and feelings, so one day when my children are old enough they will know what I thought and felt.
The night before, I had been up late, as Brian had proposed to me. So, needless to say I was a little too excited to go to bed. I remember that morning, my alarm going off and I turned it off knowing that I would have to skip the shower. I laid there sleeping, when Garry came into my room. He said, "Stacy, you might want to get up, this could be the start of World War III." I remember thinking, what are you talking about. The world was fine just 6 hours ago, what did the politicians do. I walk out to the TV room and sit on the coffee table. Since, I am blind as a bat without my contacts, I had to sit close. At this point. I watched a rerun of the first airplane fly into the tower. I remember thinking oh my gosh! I watched the people run from the building and streets, to watch the rerun of the second airplane fly into the second tower. I was so stunned, I could hardly believe what I was seeing. It felt so surreal. I couldn't even imagine what was going on. I sat there just watching the TV play the rerun over and over. Garry at this point told me that the government thought Bin Laden was behind this attack. I watched the building collapse. Then the news that the pentagon had been hit. I sat there just watching the horrible images and thinking it was so surreal. I watched until I was suppose to be at work. At that point, I rushed to get dress and put my make up on, then I drove to CNS.
When I arrived at CNS, my mom had the radio on with the reporters just going on and on about the attack. It was just about this time that the fourth and final plane went down in the field. I could not believe the events that day. I just remember not much work was done on my part. I listened to the radio all day long, just hoping that the attacks would stop. Being so grateful that the planes were out of the air.
That night, I watched the events over and over and over. I sat thinking, how is this going to affect my life? I am still getting married on October 4? What is going to happen? I remember being scared and just wanting to wake up from the nightmare that I continued to watch.
Ten years ago, was the saddest day our nation has faced in my memory. I am grateful, that I have been to NYC and have seen the missing towers in the skyline. I am grateful to have been living in Salt Lake City and to not have had any loved ones in the air or buildings that day. I am grateful that I have been blessed and will forever remember the events of that September day.
Summertime Sweets
2 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment