Last week, Bri and I took Coly Bug into the allergist for his annual check. I knew that he was still allergic, but I was hoping that the number had dropped. After, just a few moments talking to the doctor, she pulled his results and we found that it raised again. When I asked how high, she replied with 22 (GASP!). You see it has NEVER been this high and he is now in the highest allergy category. Last year he was at a 10, so it more then doubled. However, after some more testing (poke owies) the good news is it is just dairy. He can have nuts, eggs, wheat, etc. So, we are blessed in that we only have one allergy to deal with. She told us, that they are working on desensitization, but it probably will not be ready until he is in grade school (I PRAY it will be in grade school or earlier). We talked about a few other things, thanked the doctor and went on our way.
However, I am so saddened by this. I feel that I am his mother and I should be able to "fix it" or that I have done something wrong. Now, I know these things are not true, but it still makes me cry and it still breaks my heart when I have to tell Coly "It's not Coly safe." However, I know others, are going through much more difficult things with their children and that I am extremely blessed. I am grateful to live in a day in age where we have Epi pens and that my son can have Soy milk. So, even though I am venting here, things are good.
Summertime Sweets
2 years ago

4 comments:
Stacy, I was around during Coly's pregnancy and you were a model pregnant mama and there is NOTHING you could have done differently! It's just how HF made him.
Dairy-that's not so bad-I think wheat would be harder. And he's so healthy and happy.
You are right, others have to deal with so much more.
Please enlighten the layman/woman here as to what desensitization is?
S~ I totally can see why you are saddened, but it has nothing to do with what you did. Desensitization is what we all will hope for. I LOVE YOU!
Poor little guy! I guess it's looking better to only be allergic to one thing, but I can't imagine how hard it is. You are so educated and do the best for him and watch out for him and what he can eat. You are a great mom and nothing you can do, but I somewhat know how it feels to watch your child go through something hard. Yesterday was hard enough, but our kids are so brave and I know they love us.
BTW I love your header picture!
Post a Comment