Colin has homework every Monday thru Thursday. The teachers in his school feel it is important to set standard for how life will really be in school later. This homework is usually a back side of a math page and a half page of an 8 x 11 piece of paper. It has really been working on the kiddos writing and then usually they do something else. Some example of the "something else" sort the laundry into colors, play Simon says, and draw pictures of ... Tonight's homework of "something else" was a family fire drill.
This is not something that we have practiced before as a family. SHAME ON ME!!! I know that fire safety is something important to teach our kids, but it never really crossed my mind. So, we taught the kids to crawl to the door and check it and then where to meet as a family. The kids were nervous doing this, so I know we need to practice more but it was a good start to keeping the kids safe. As, we were talking about staying at the meeting place, I flashed back to my family fire drill practice. I remember my dad timing us. I remember my mom saying "wait for us at the mailbox, because if you're not there I am going back inside to look for you." Tonight I told my kids that same thing. Stay or I will be going back in. I just kind of thought it was funny how life brings us full circle. I am sure one day, our kids will say the same thing to their kids.
Summertime Sweets
2 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment