My friend Lynn has a daughter named Monica. Monica is a fun young lady, she is 19 years old and attends South Valley School, which is considered college for Monica. Well, Monica's teacher is a coach for the Utah Special Olympics in bowling, she got Monica out bowling this year. So, for the first time Monica was in the Special Olympics in bowling. Today was the first round of the Olympics in bowling, so I took our 2 kids down the bowling alley to watch and cheer on Monica. The athletes did so good, there were different levels of bowling, Monica was in the ramp assisted level, meaning that her coach could approach the line and hold the ramp for her. Her coach is also her dad, Doug. It was fun to watch the participants bowl and watch the
coaches help them out.

Monica rolled a 96 in her first game, which was the winning score. In the second game, Monica rolled a 65. So, without handicaps Monica got a 161. I don't remember what her score was with her handicap, but she came in 4t
h place (2 pins shy of 3rd) and received a ribbon. Unfortunately, this was the only round for Monica this year, but I have a feeling that she will be back next year.


When I got the kids in the car after the event, Colin told me that he had fun. I think that is probably a true story. As, he and Audra were able to run around in a contained room right behind Monica. So I was really able to sit and enjoy. Another highlight was I ran into Heather, a friend from high school, and her daughter Suzanne. We were able to catch up for a few minutes all in all a really good time at the Special Olympics.

No comments:
Post a Comment