Friday, January 7, 2011

A Trip to the Dentist

Some of you may know that our family dentist is my uncle. Uncle Jeff, followed in his dad's footsteps and became a dentist, after years of working together Grandpa sold the business to Uncle Jeff. So, since I can remember I have had a family member as my dentist and I have never been scared to go to the dentist. I have wanted our kids to feel comfortable with the dentist as well. Since, Coly started getting teeth, I have been asking Uncle Jeff when to bring the kids in and what to do to promote good oral hygiene at a young age.
Six months ago, Coly was with me and was asked to sit in the chair so they could "count teeth." Well Coly sat in the chair no problem, but would not open his mouth. I was told no big deal, we go at the child's speed. My dental appointment came up and so I scheduled a "mini exam" for Coly too. Well, today was that day. I have to tell you I prepped Coly for 2 days about going to see Uncle Jeff and he did so good. He let them clean his teeth, got a fluoride treatment and then let Uncle Jeff "count his teeth." He has 10 teeth on top and 10 teeth on bottom. They look healthy and no issues. I was also told that he has a Kienke mouth (lots of room and likely no braces), so we are super excited about that.
At the beginning of the exam Colin climbed up into the chair and opened his mouth really big, so when the chair side asked him how old he was he answered with his mouth wide open and with his fingers sticking up "3." Audra Lynn watched her brother and after a while wanted to be included in the fun. So, the chair side took the "water gun" and squirted it in her mouth and so she feels that she saw the dentist today too. The kids then got to pick a prize for doing so good at the dentist today. They left feeling comfortable and like the dentist was fun. I am so excited and hope that the next trip is as successful as this one.

No comments: