Friday, April 20, 2012

That's the Kind of Neighborhood We Live In

About a week ago, was the Relief Society Birthday Party.  Even though my calling is Provident Living, I am also attached to the activities committee.  The evening of the birthday party, one of the ladies I visit teach came up and asked me about which preschool I have Colin in.  I told her that he goes to Oakwood and that I loved the school.  This prompted another lady in the room to say (we will call her K), Oh my gosh, I haven't even thought of preschool.  Let's keep in mind that K's child is only 6 months old and this is her first.  K then asked another lady (we will call her J) what she did for preschool.  J told her about the 2 different preschools in the area and that K should have her baby on the waiting list.  K started freaking out that she hadn't even thought about it.  Just then S (she has 5 kiddos) walked in and jumped in the conversation.  S stated to K "You need to call first thing in the morning, seriously."  Then proceeded to rattle off the phone number.  Now, the schools that these ladies are talking about, neither are public schools like Colin's, but private schools.  I have known that we live in a very affluent area.  With Walker Lane and Cottonwood Lane very close, it has never been something that shocked me, that there was money here.  But REALLY, they are so concerned about preschool that they have to get on the waiting list when the baby is born?  It's preschool people.  What is even more funny after preschool the kids go into the public school system.  So apparrently, we live in such an area that we need to be concerned about getting our children in preschool the instant that they are born. 

No comments: