So if you have spent any time with Bri and I, you know that we disagree on our family size. He is perfectly happy with the 2 children we have at this time. I, on the other hand, want to expand our family by one more. Now I don't want this post to be about me vs. Bri, but more the perfect family size. Over the past week I have spoken to my Uncle Jeff, who said that Aunt Beth wishes she had more children (they have 2 a boy and a girl) and Aunt Liz also said that she wishes she had more children, but do to health issues could not (she also has 2 both boys). I googled the topic and found out that a small family is 1-2 children and a large is 3+ kids. Really, I don't feel like I came from a large family but ok. I also found out that most people think 2 to 3 children is the perfect size. (Based on a national study.) So here is my question, what really is the perfect size family? Please defend your answer. There are no right or wrong answers. I know this is a personal topic, but I also think it is a fun topic. Thanks for your comments.
Summertime Sweets
2 years ago

5 comments:
Just because I have 4 kids doesn't mean that I think that is the best size. I actually thought 2-3 was good. 4 is definitely a big family and the more kids you get the more expensive it is. Plus the older they get the more things cost and the more things that they are into. So you have to take that into consideration also. Don't get me wrong I don't know what I would do with out all my kids. But it is a handful and it is really hard to go on vacations and do a lot of fun things with the more kids you have. But I don't see why you shouldn't have more. Good Luck!
I vote 3! I don't know why but a family of 5 just seems right. My defense, probably is that's what we had growing up and it worked well for us. I don't know why else, except family is all you really have and one more person to love is worth it.
I always felt sorry for the girl in my school with just a brother. Her life seemed lonely. When her brother was busy she was all alone.
Having FIVE is defiantly a BIG family these days. Vacationing is nearly impossible as it's hard to find hotels that sleep seven! And the cost of things is crazy but I love that my kids are each others friends. That there is always someone home to be with someone (most of the time)
James was good with three. Took me awhile to talk him into four but four has him wrapped around her finger so when I told him about my feelings about adopting five he just shrugged and told me that I am entitled to that inspiration, that he wouldn't have had four and yet our family would be incomplete without her. So now we have five!
I think you should have as many as you feel you can support not only financially but emotionally. Kids take a lot of time, effort, patience AND money!
Good luck in your decision. Whatever it is it will be perfect for you!
Oh and that was a darling picture of all you!
I've found my definition of "perfect family size" has changed over the years. I grew up with just two sisters and my middle sister always acted the "middle child part" and blamed all her problems on being the middle child. So I decided that four would be perfect. then there's no middle child. My husband always wanted 5, he was the middle of 7. We never were able to decide on a perfect number. After we adopted our oldest, he figured we could still have four since we adopted one (uh huh) We've stopped at 3. it just feels right to us. I can't say for sure we won't have more, but I'm pretty sure we're good.
Post a Comment