The human race seems to amaze me. Sometimes, it because of an amazing good deed that someone or group has done for another, other times it is something that I just can't even wrap my head around a concept. This issue is unfortunately the later. Over the past week there has been a controversy in Florida involving a 6 year old girl. This 6 year old girl, has a life threatening peanut allergy, so the parents of this child's classmates are asking that she leaves the school. In fact, these parents have been outside the school picketing. WHAT?!?!?!? Is the first thing I thought too. Can they do this? Well, technically no. An allergy is considered a "disability" and the school has to help the child. But the parents of the classmates feel that this child is taking away their childrens rights because of the following:
1 - Lunches can't come into the classroom
2 - They have to wash their hands when they enter the classroom and after lunch
3 - They have to rinse out their mouths
Really, so these folks are kicking a 6 year old girl out of school for minor inconveniences, over something she did not choose. Over something that could claim her life, if exposed. REALLY PEOPLE? So, now the parents of the 6 year old girl and the school are trying to work things out, for the best of everyone. But all I can think is GROW UP PEOPLE!
As a parent of a child with a life threatening food allergy, I am so appalled. I just want to slap these people upside the head and say "what are you thinking?" I also, want to give this family that is going through this a hug and tell them that they are not alone. All, I can say is the school had better get this one right or there is going to be one outraged community.

1 comment:
I think the same thing! Washing hands is a CLEANLINESS issue!! it's just good hygiene. Its safer for everyone else and keeps colds and flu down.
I cannot believe that people would make such a big deal about a few tiny things. I have a friend who's kids have crazy allergies, and her boys' school is totally supportive and so are the other parents. I know full well that the parents that are out there picketing would be having a fit if parents were picketing over THEIR child...
Post a Comment