Thursday, March 17, 2011

St. Patty's Day

I don't know if I have any Irish in my blood, but I sure do love the St. Patty's holiday. My mom does not have Irish, but she loves the holiday and it has worn off on me. Bri's paternal grandfather was 100% Irish, and has royalty in his line. SO, I feel like it is a good thing to really get into the holiday. I picked up corned beef and cabbage yesterday at the store, that is our usual meal. But today, during my morning run, I decided to get the kids involved, so we made Irish Soda Bread. The kids loved it. They each wore an apron, took turns adding ingredients, and then helped knead the bread. It was a mess after, but for a few minutes the kids were in kid heaven.
During their nap, I thought it might be fun to surprise them with an Irish treat. So, I made Irish Tea Cakes (a whole lot like Jam Cookies). The kids thought that was a neat little treat. They were very easy and quick to make, so I am glad to have added them to the dinner. All in all, I think that dinner was a success, except for the cabbage. It seems that I am the only one who likes the cooked cabbage. Brian is begging me not to make cabbage soup tomorrow night for dinner. (Oh, how I love to tease him.)

No comments: