Saturday, April 30, 2011

Our Half

Since you all know that one of my resolutions this year was to run 500 miles, I decided to train for a half marathon. I looked for one that would be in the spring and hopefully a really good run day. I found the Thanksgiving Point Half at the end of April. I felt this was perfect because I would be able to train slowly, and still make my target. Well two weeks ago, I was on my usual morning run when my ankle and foot were just not happy. They hurt, so badly. I decided to cut my run short, followed up by missing my next day run. I discovered that my peroneal tendon was irritated and the best way to heal was rest, ibuprofen, and ice. Determined to make my goal, that following Saturday I headed out for my long run. I made 5 miles, when I could not go any further, in fact I called Brian to pick me up because I knew I could not make it home. For a couple of days I wore a walk cast, followed it with meds, rest and ice. I did not run for 2 weeks, in order to keep my endurance up I was riding a stationary bike. The weird thing was Bri was going through the same thing.
Two weeks later, we prepared for our race. (Bri decided to run the race, because he was unable to train for the race he had wanted to make.) So, we when we woke up there was snow on the ground and it was still snowing. Crumb!! I ordered a spring race, not a winter race. Bri and I changed what we had planned to wear to our winter clothes and headed for the race. When we hit the I-15 / I-215 interchange there was 8-10 inches of snow on the ground. We were both concerned how we were going to run in snow so deep. However, the Lord was looking out for us, because as we hit the point of the mountain the snow stopped and there was only an inch of snow. We felt so much better.
When we arrived, we tried to stay warm waiting for the race to start. It was sooo cold and we were dressed for winter. It felt like it would never start. However, it did and we were off. Bri and I did not run together, we both had goals, his being much faster then mine, so I was pleased as punch to go at my speed and really get the full experience. Just as we started the race, it started to snow, I love running in a soft snow storm which this was. It was just so pretty and peaceful. But the snow did not last too long. Before I knew it, it was sunny and the perfect running temperature. As we ran through the gardens the tulips were in full bloom with a little snow on them, absolutely beautiful. Next was the golf course. It was funny, I didn't remember being on this course at all until I came upon a certain hole, when I remember Bri and I had watched a golf tournament there, one of the key golfers was Annika Sorenstam. So, that helped me through some of the miles thinking about that time. By mile 10, I was feeling very tired and ready to be done. I mile 12 I had too keep thinking "I can do this," "I am stronger." Well, I was about half way through mile 12 when I saw my mother in law. She had come to run me in that last .6 of a mile. She was a very welcomed sight. In fact, my eyes teared up as I waved to her, because I needed that little push. So, as I came upon the last turn to the finish line, I saw my hubby and 2 kiddos. When I crossed there was my mom and Gar. Such a proud moment in my life. I did it!!!! I finished at 2:37:58. My goal was to finish at 2:37:-- the seconds didn't really matter to me. I was soo thrilled. I recieved my finisher medal. Found Bri, his goal was to finish at 2:00:00, before he got hurt, when he realized he wasn't going to be able to run for 2 weeks, he changed it to 2:05:00. Well he crossed at 2:04:27, he did it too.
Now I am very sore, he is slightly sore, but feel a sense of accomplishment. I can tell you two thing I learned yesterday. First I don't see myself running a full marathon, running for 2.5 hours is a lot, double that and I just can imagine 5 hours of running. Second, you don't have to be an athlete to accomplish something, if you set your mind to it, you can do it.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Whootwhoo!!
Okay, for some odd reason you dropped off my dashboard! Weird. It happened to a couple of my other friends blogs too. But I think I've got everyone back.
I need to go to bed, but I'll catch up on your blog tomorrow.
CONGRATS on your run! THAT IS A SUPER LONG TIME!!!

snakeriverwalton said...

way to go!!