Monday, March 26, 2012

Buffalo Run

I need to give some history on this race.  I had every intention of running the Buffalo Run, however, life happened and I did not sign up for the race.  Bri did for the 25K, as did Lynn for the 25K and Jim the 50 Miler.  The four of us went out to run a practice run about a month ago, I had a great time, and Lynn stated she felt I could run the race.  Well, she talked me into it, and I was so excited.  I got home and turned on the computer, found out the race was sold out.  I was BUMMED.  Bri, knew how much I wanted to run the race and stated he would talk to the race director, to see what he could do.  Well, that Monday I got an email from Bri stating I was in.  How did I get in, you wonder?  Bri asked the race director if I could have his spot in the 25K if he signed up for the 50 miler.  The race director said YES!  So, I was in.  How is that for love?
Friday we had took the kids to Grandma and Grandpa's house for a sleep over.  Then went to the hotel, we had so much stuff I left my jacket in the car, along with a handful of other things.  Saturday came bright and early, Bri's alarm went off at 3:00 AM (he had to be there before me), at 4:30 I got up for a minute.  Kissed my husband goodbye, as he was taking a load of stuff down to the car, before Jim picked him up for the race.  I got back in bed and rested until 6:15 AM, I took my time, was getting so excited.  I grabbed my purse to get the keys to the car, I realized there were NO KEYS!!  WHAT!?!?!?!?  Then I remembered my keys were in my jacket.  How can this happen.  I looked again and started to panic.  I ran down to the car to see if Bri, by any chance left the car unlocked.  No such luck.  I went to the front desk asked for a "slim Jim."  NOPE!  So, I called Lynn and asked if she could please come get me.  She and Doug did, along with all my stuff!  THANK GOODNESS FOR FRIENDS!!!  Now, you are probably wondering what the big deal is.  Well, just the fact, that Bri had a really important "drop bag" in the car, which I was suppose to meet him with at mile 33.  Lynn, Doug and I started brain storming how to solve the puzzle.  We came up with after the run, go back to the car and call AAA, which Doug was a member of, and pray that I make it back to the next aide station which was mile 38. 
We arrived at the race, and were getting ready for it, by standing in the potty line.  When Jim's wife, Erin, came up and hugged us.  I was so excited.  I asked if I could PLEASE dig around in Bri's stuff in her car (after telling her the story), praying the keys would be there.  Erin, told me to stay in line and she would go do it.  NOT THERE!  I told her that Bri had his pack on and the keys might be there.  She told me that if she could she and Doug would go get the car, if we could get the keys.  Then she told me Jim had asked her to meet them at the White Bay aide station with a drop bag.  She said she would ask Bri for the keys and try not to alarm him.  YES!
Lynn and I started our race and were having a lovely time.  We had girl talk and out on a nice run enjoying the friendship and the time in the mountains.  As, we finished the first loop, I told her this was were we would see the guys if we were going to see them.   After, running a bit, we didn't see them, so I figured we had missed them and prayed Erin would see them to get the keys.  Well, just about 10 more minutes down the trail, we saw them. YEAH!!!!  I give Bri and hug and ask if he has the keys, he did.  I told him.  "Please give them to Erin."  He was a little nervous, but I told him we had a plan.  I kissed his face and off we went.  I felt so much better.  I figured, even if they don't make it to the car.  I can and I will be back to meet him at the next station .
Lynn and I ran and walked and laughed together.  It was a great race.  I truthfully, was not as prepared as I usually am.  I had only gotten to 10 miles, for my last practice run.  And, even though I run hills, it was not enough for the many hills, we faced on this run.  But, when you get to spend time with your best friend, the time just passes.  We finished at 4:17:56.  So, basically a 16 minute mile.  I was happy, it was a hot day, my first trail race, and I was ill prepared.  But it was my longest race being 16.2 and the hardest race I have ever done.  After, we got our awards and chocolate milk.  We found Doug.  They had made it to the car and Erin was meeting the guys at the next aide station.  WOW!  SO LUCKY FOR GOOD FRIENDS!!!
Lynn and I got our shoes off and some cold water, starting to relax when, Erin pulls up.  Yeah!  She came over and was giving us an update.  Jim was not doing well, he was having problems and was not going to make it to the finish, so he was "dropping."  Brian, had a grilled cheese sandwich and some shade.  He felt better and was going on.  What sorrow and joy in just minutes.  I felt so bad for Jim, happy for Bri and nervous for Bri.  I told Lynn that if Jim was dropping, I had to go.  I had to be there for Bri.  So, we hugged and off Erin and I went.  She told me where to go to find Bri.  I passed her pulling off to get Jim and waved at Jim thinking they were headed home.  But, after I pulled into the Ranch aide station, Erin and Jim pulled in.  A few minutes later Bri was running in. 
We got him what he needed and got him back on his way.  (At this point, I was trying to figure out, if I could run with Bri more, I knew he was going to need emotional support.)  I offered Jim a roller stick for sore muscles, he took me up on it.  Then informed Erin and I that he planned to pick Bri up at the next aide station, he would run with him for the last 11 miles.  ANGELS SINGING!  We found Bri at the crossing and Jim informed Bri of his plans. 
We drove to the next aide station and bless Jim's heart, he rolled his tight, cramping muscles and starting walking to Bri.  Erin and I waited at the aide station, and we slowly watched the station being disassembled.  I then asked what the cut off time was for this aide station, 3:30, if you don't make it they pull you from the race.  So, we sat there sweating bullets as the time tick, tocked away.  At 3:20, we see them come up over the hill and they are walking.  They might not make it at this point I think to my self.  So, sad to come so close and miss it.  Just then, a man starts running down the path, stops to tell them they have to get to the station before 3:30.  They are running.  They run in at 3:25, I hand Bri an orange, fill his water bottle, and hand him a baggie of crackers.  The crew at the station, dumps water on his head and he is off.  WHEW!  We made it! At the next crossing, I stop and give Bri a hat to protect him, since there is not a lick of shade any where.  Tell him we will see him at the next aide station.
The next station, had a cut time of 5:00, Bri and Jim made it at 4:38.  At this point they had only 6 miles to go.  Which any day of the week is no big deal, however after running 44 miles before it is a HUGE deal.  He gets up and goes again.  I figure it is time, we head for the finish line.  I figure about an hour 15 minutes or so, but I don't want to miss this moment.  Well, it took just slightly longer, later, I found out at mile 46 he was dizzy and having issues, which required him to sit for a minute or two.  He came across the finish line at 12:17:34.  SUCH JOY!  The kids and Debby and Steve, along with Erin and I were at the finish line waiting for him.  It was a grand day. 
The kids loved being there and being a part of the excitement, you can just see it on their faces can't you? 
The kids went home with Grandma and Grandpa that night so we could rest after such a tough day.  We were then given a wonderful treat of The Pie pizza, delivered, from Garry and Mom.  They didn't stay just wanted us to have a nice meal after a hard, exciting day.  It was so amazing to be blessed by everyone that day!  There was no way we could have done any of it without everyone named.  We want to thank each of you, for your love, support and help for us to reach our goals.  We love you ALL!

No comments: