Name: Lynn Harris NelsonDate of Birth: February 16, 1923
Death Date: N/A celebrated his 88th birthday today
Parents: Glenn and Milicent Nelson
Siblings: Robert Nelson and Sally Nelson
Married to: Mary Louise Taylor March 1, 19-- (still have to get that date)
Children: Stillborn, Jeffrey, Tammy, and Gregory
This great man is my grandfather on my dad's side. However, he decided that he was too young to be called "grandpa," so instead we called him Papa Lynn. I don't even know how to give you a good glimpse of this man, there are so many things but I will do my very best. Well, one thing is for sure, my sisters and I would not know how to play poker if it wasn't for Lynn Nelson. You see, when we would spend the night/weekend at their home, he would break out the cards and chips, and teach us poker. He ALWAYS fronted us the money to ante up, he would deal and then help us play, no doubt sleepovers were expensive. I remember at the end of the poker matches he would call up to Mama Mary, asking were her purse was so he could pay his "debts." We loved playing poker with Papa Lynn. He was always willing to make a bet, if you wanted to bet on football, horse races or other sporting events you usually could get him to go in on it. He also paid us if he swore, $.25 per swear word. We used to listen so closely to try and catch him in the act. I remember one day at our house, my cousins were down at our house with us and all five grandchildren were helping bring things in from out in the trunk. Papa Lynn bumped his head and swore twice, so it cost him $2.50 that day just from that incident.
He also would teach us funny little songs such as:
Be kind to your web footed friends,
That poor duck may be some body's mother.
Remember the boys in the swamp, where the weather is so cold and damp,
Now you may think that this is the end. Well it is!
and
There's a place in France,
Where the naked ladies dance,
There's a hole in the wall
Where the men can see it all,
And the men don't care cause they're in their underwear
And the police don't shoot cause they think it's kinda cute
He is so very funny. I remember calling him in the mornings on our way to school. The first thing that he would say to you when you got on "My you look nice today." A sure way to make you smile and even laugh Once in a while, he still pulls that one on me. He said it too my not that long ago and it was the furthest thing from the truth, it really made me laugh so hard, because it had been such a long time since I had heard that and I looked so horrible. He can also tell stories that make you laugh til you cry. I unfortunately, did not inherit this gene, however my dad and his siblings did and so did my sisters. I love when the family is together and they get on a kick, because your sides can just ache from laughing so much.
Some interesting things to know about Papa Lynn. He is an excellent cook. I remember he would be the one in the kitchen, preparing our meals. I don't remember too many meals but I do remember his salads. He could make the best salads and of course serve it with a slice of French bread with butter.
He is also color blind. He was flying planes for the U.S. Air Force during World War II, that was until they found out that he was color blind. During that same war he was held hostage as a prisoner of war. I believe that he was held in China, unfortunately, due to the events of September 11, 2001. He was unable to return to China and see that country from a different aspect.
He also could play the piano, and so beautifully. However, he could not read sheet music, he always played by ear. He felt that this held him back, but he truly was very talented. Unfortunately, he has given up this past time due to his age and lack of memory. I did not get this talent either. I could go on and on about Papa Lynn and the life he has lead. I hope that this helps you understand him and remember a little about him too.

1 comment:
Wow. Happy Birthday to your grandpa. What a great soul. He sounds like such a riot! : ) And like he has so many life experiences and talents he's shared. You've got a great Papa Lynn there, Stace. : )
Post a Comment