Over the past 2 weeks or so, I have been trying very hard to get the kiddos over to the library, so that they can get new books. Plus, it helps Bri and I read to them on a regular basis as we have a quick turn around time. So, last week while we were there, I noticed a sign for a Harry Potter Party on July 14. You had to register, so I asked the kids if they wanted to go and I was given a big YES!
Well, today was the Harry Potter Party at City Hall, sponsored by the library, and it was very well done to say the least. You were encouraged to dress up for the party. So, I immediately started brain storming who could be who or what. Colin, I thought should be Ron, since his hair is red. Lynnie, I thought and thought and came up with Dobby. Well, Coly has been telling me he did not want to dress up for days, however, I am a pushy mom sometimes and kept at it. Lynnie was excited to be Dobby, she helped color her pillow case and was excited to wear different color socks, it was really so easy to make her costume. Coly on the other hand was just not going to dress up, so I decided to go with that. However, right before we left, I decided to draw the lightening scar on his head without permission. Well, let's just say that he loved it. He was so excited, however he did not want to put on a costume. At this point I pulled out a piece of fabric that was a purple/bluish, telling Coly that he could wear this invisibility cloak and he would be invisible and we would tie it on like Batman. Sold. He was excited to wear it and be invisible. When we arrived we checked in and filled out a raffle ticket for each kiddo. Then we were given our class schedule, wands and folders for our homework. We started our day in Charms. Charms was cute, they had plastic bottles with water and ketchup packets that the hosts would make sink/rise depending on the Charm. Then they passed out suckers with honey and pop rocks.

Up next was Ancient Runes, here we had broomstick flying races. I am pretty sure that our team lost due to our kids, but the other kids were so nice and cheered really loud for Audra as she crossed the finish line for the team. And for a little treat they had marshmallows and raisins.

Next, we had Potions. This was probably my favorite class. The professor took Bezaars (Mentos) and some potion (Diet Pepsi), mixed the two together and made it explode all over. The professor also made Flobberworms (raisins) float in berry, berry potion. In the end the professor mixed the berry, berry potion (Kool Aid) with ginger root (sugar) and another potion (7-Up) and the kids got to drink the magical potion. Which turned their little lips very red.


Then we headed over to Herbology. Here the kids planted a Origanum vulgare (aka Oregano) seed to take home and care for.
Lastly, there was a Harry Potter trivia they called Dumbledore's Army. In which each house would try to answer the questions the fastest and win points for the house. At the end they drew the raffle tickets and then gave prizes for the costume contest. Audra won an adult size T-shirt, that I am going to barrow tomorrow, Coly won a bookmark, which was fun for him too. The kids had fun waving their wands around. Grandma Debby and Grandpa Steve came up for the party, to watch the kids. I think the kids had a really good time, they have been casting spells tonight (even Lou is saying "Stupify!) and said that they had fun. It really was done very well and it puts you in the Harry Potter mood.

2 comments:
How fun! The kids looked so cute. I never got into Harry Potter when the books first came out. But decided that I would start reading them. I am now on the 4th book and I watch the movies after I read the book. I am totally loving them and love being able to watch the movie right after and not have to wait.
What a cute party! And what a fun mom!
Post a Comment