Monday, July 11, 2011

Kennecott Copper Mine

Some of you may or may not know, Grandpa Garry got a new job with Rio Tinto. Rio Tinto owns the Kennecott Copper Mine. Well, I have seen the billboards that the tours were free over the next little bit and I thought it would be fun to take the kids out there to see the mine. I personally have never been there, so I thought it might be a fun little activity. When I told Grandpa Garry about going out there, he jumped on the band wagon and put together and little family outing.
So, yesterday after church we went out to the mine. It was pretty neat, the hole is HUGE. However, since it was kind of a rainy day it was hard to see all the different colors. The kids really enjoyed themselves, they played and touched and were able to get some wiggles out. What was really impressive were the dump trucks they are MASSIVE. They are about 2 stories tall and the tires are so big the kids look like ants. We then went into the visitor center and looked around, saw a copper sheet that was 99.99% pure, saw different mineral under microscope, and all kinds of fun facts. Grandpa Garry then bought each of the kids a little token from the mine. Both Colin and Carter got a bag full of colored fun rocks, Lynnie got a copper bracelet that is darling.

4 comments:

snakeriverwalton said...

I didn't know about his new job. What is he doing? That is who Ryan works for. In fact, his small claim to fame- did you see his picture in the visitors center? pretty awesome.

Stacy said...

I actually did see his picture, I thought cool I know him. Garry is working in the concentrator as a Sr. Cal. Tech. Where does Ryan work?

snakeriverwalton said...

He is in the refinery on the precious metals side. He likes it.

Wendy said...

My Dad worked at the concentrator for 30 years but I don't think I've ever been to the mine....