My favorite part of the Hawaii trip though was toward the end of the trip and we went snorkeling with Jack's Diving Locker and the Manta Rays. A manta ray is like a sting ray, but larger. These animals can get up to 16 feet wing tip to wing tip and weigh about 100 pounds per foot. These animals are massive. So, we started our adventure about 4 pm, we had an afternoon drive and saw some mantas playing on the surface. We also saw some fish and an eel. As, the sun was setting and we were eating our sandwich dinner, we saw spinner dolphins in the
distance. What an amazing sight to see. After dinner and it was dark it was time to go play with the mantas. So, snorkel gear, life vest, and flash light and off into the dark water we go. The company that takes you on these tours had put a giant spotlight into the water a ways off, but we had to swim to that. The plankton are attracted to the light, and this is what Mantas eat. We waited a little bit and soon here were the mantas they were spinning and twirling in the light, it was a spectacular show. The mantas started at the bottom of the ocean and worked their way to the surface. I was doing just fine watching these massive animals dance until one got literally 4 inches away. Steve who was about 30 feet away popped his head up and asked if the manta brushed my knee, I told him no, but after that I was a little bit nervous about being ran over by a 1600 pound animal. But I still stayed in the water until it was time to go back to the boat. What an adrenaline rush. We found out on the ride home that there had been 5 mantas that night and they all were female. It was so worth the $200, for the experience.
I look forward to going back to Hawaii and seeing more. It was absolutely beautiful. I just would want more time there.
Summertime Sweets
2 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment