I have not been one to really make my kids do chores around the house. I would have them help clean up the mess they make, ask them to help make cookies, etc. I don't feel that they have had it easy, but they aren't expected to do a certain chore either. That was until I read this
blog. She has a son that is just a few months younger than
Coly and he has chores, so I have been trying to figure out. What "jobs" I can have the kids do.
Lynnie loves to help with all kinds of things, and she is really so young still just 19 months I don't feel I really need to assign her a job at this point. She does help me put dishes away and wants to help with the wiping of things, etc.
Coly doesn't fight when I ask for help, but it is like he doesn't think about doing some of the things, but really he is only 3 almost 4. I thought about what I could change and have the kids do to help out in the house. I have decided that he needs to work on making his bed in the mornings, setting the table for dinner and helping his dad clear the table after dinner. I don't want him to feel as if he has all the responsibilities but I want him to know what is it like to pull your share of the weight in the home, and Audra too. I am just wondering do you think kids need a lot of chores or just a few? I don't know this parenting thing is harder some days, when you want your kids to grow up to be contributing members of society, with good social skills and manners. I don't know, does anyone else feel like you are just taking a stab in the dark sometimes?
3 comments:
My kids have had chores since they were about 2. Plus they all have been doing chores out on the farm since they could walk. I think it is good for kids to have responsibility at a young age. I think you should give your kids chores, it makes them better people later on.
Like your cute daughter my son is to young to start having "set" chores each day but he does help me around the house when I'm cleaning etc.
I did read on a friends blog a few ideas for when I want Logan to start having chores. Here are the links. The first link is to her post about his chores, the second is her post about his schedule. I really like the schedule post and want to make one for Logan soon.
http://mikerinandbryson.blogspot.com/2010/08/schedule-board.html
http://mikerinandbryson.blogspot.com/2009/12/brysons-chores.html
Aww... little helping hands are so sweet.
Post a Comment