Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Day 5 - Crabbing

You would not believe the difficulties I am having getting my blog published.  The Internet connection here is horrible, plus I think the storms have something to do with it too.  Since we have been in a constant storm, it has been hard to get a good connection.  So, I have posted some more photos on yesterdays post.
Anyway, since we are up here near the ocean we thought we would try our hand at the crabbing.  So, first thing this morning Grandpa Garry went to Trucke's and rented a crab net and got a shellfish license.  We went down to the 12th street bridge and put the net in.  Every 10-15 minutes we were checking it.  However, the rain was so bad, that we ran to Warrenton to buy everyone a raincoat.  So, that maybe we could enjoy some of our days even if it is raining.  While Mom and I were getting coats, the crew back at Seaside caught a female (which you can't keep).  But this helped everyone get more excited.
By the time, Mom and I made it back the prime crabbing time was over.  So, we headed back to the condo for lunch and a nap.  When naps were over, Coli did not want to leave to go back out, so Bri stayed with him.  Lynnie and I went down to Trucke's rented another crab net and I got my shellfish license.  We went out to the bridge and pulled up Grandpa Garry's net, there were 2 in there.  I was so excited, but nervous to touch them.  So, I didn't know what to do with them.  Just then Grandpa and Neeners pulled up and helped me out.  Both crabs were females and had to go back.

Next, we got my net into the water and starting pulling up the nets every few minutes and we were catching the crabs like you would not believe.  I finally pulled up a male and so we measured it, too small.  So, it too had to go back.  BUMMER!  I was so excited.  Bri and Coli decided to come down since we were having such good luck.  After, a while I say we had caught somewhere between 18-20 crabs.  But none of them were keepers.  Darn!  However, the enjoyment of a new experience was worth every minute.  Lynnie had a good time, but was more content in the car with Neeners.  Coli was right amongst the action.  However don't ask him to get close to one, he is down right scared.  Coli and Lynnie are both stating we better catch a "daddy one" so we can eat it for dinner.  Guess we will have to try tomorrow.

No comments: